- Twenty-one football seasons ago, I met Vicki and we went to SC football games. I’m exceedingly grateful to have found a friend and life-mate who enjoys sports with me, something I do not take for granted. We’ve now known each other longer than we didn’t know each other before, and there are years of tailgating and good/bad games under our belts together.
- I used to go to our high school football games more, even at least a game or two on the road back in the day. Airport High beat cross-suburb rival B-C the other night. I’m not personally as much into those games these days, and I’m not sure why. Probably just that it’s Friday after what have proved to be long stressful weeks. But I’m going to chang that this season, I hope.
- In high school, Airport was pretty good. They are on the cusp again most years, but not breaking through to the top quite yet.
- Then there’s the Gamecocks – would enjoy a really good season this year. There aren’t many bandagon Gamecock fans, mainly because mediocre doesn’t have a bandwagon. But there’s always next year, and with the first game still unplayed, it feels like this can be the one. At least until the day after that first game, right?
- I remember driving with James and our dates to the Union game in high school. His date shot him in the leg – it was a cap gun, it looked real, he made her freak. That was fun and memorable.
- We’ve been playing fantasy football for a few seasons. I never really got into the NFL with anything more than a passing interest, but with FFB it’s been easy to make autumn weekends all football all the time. It’s the only sport I can play “fantasy” with – it’s once a week, not every day like NBA or MLB and others, and I’ve got just enough attention span on a weekend to prepare.
- We’ve seen some great wins, probably more disheartening losses, and had some good times together at ballgames. Looking forward to Thursday night’s opener against NC State. We’re undefeated and don’t take that for granted at any point in the timeline, right?